An Awesome Paleo Meal with Squid
I have really been following the writing and direction of Mark Sisson over at Marks Daily Apple. Personally I find that eating clean and diligently watching my carbs keeps me much leaner and feeling a lot better. One of my new favourite meals uses squid as its protein base.
This meal is based off of the best Food TV host, Alton Brown in a recipe he calls Squid Vicious. I made it a bit simpler without as many steps and without the use of the cornstarch. Sure it probably is not as good as Alton’s but as a meal to make in 10-minutes for tomorrow’s lunch it works just fine. Keep in mind I am no chef so the instructions may not be the best – just wing it and you will be fine!
Here is the recipe and steps:
300 grams squid (calamari)
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic thinly sliced
1/4 tsp ginger thinly sliced
1/3 cup onion
1/4 cup oyster mushrooms (but any mushroom will do)
1/3 cup diced red pepper
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Zest of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
1. Put the squid in a bowl and add in soy sauce and mix it up. Let it marinade while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Heat a wok on high heat
3. Add sesame oil and swirl it around to coat the pan
4. Add the onion and red pepper into the pan and cook until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes)
5. Add in the squid and stir around for about 3 minutes
6. Add in oyster mushrooms and continue to cook for another couple of minutes
7. Once finished, put in a serving dish
8. Garnish with lemon zest and parsley
Simple as that – give it a try and let me know how it works out.